MCAS Yuma Marine mom wants son's suicide case reopened

MCAS Yuma Marine mom wants son's suicide case reopened


Yuma, Arizona August 5, 2011 - Lynn Barron hasn't slept much since the disappearance and subsequent discovery of her son's body in a Yuma canal on March 21.  Since then, she has been grabbing for any investigative reports about her Cpl. Joshua Barron's death, which was ruled a suicide.

"The Yuma Police Department has been good about giving me information and so has the Yuma County Sheriff's Office," says Barron.  "I am still waiting on any contact from [MCAS Yuma] or the official coroner's or any report from NCIS."

Barron doesn't believe Joshua committed suicide.  She says NCIS hasn't given her family much to go on.  Barron remembers getting a call from the agency as she was boarding a Yuma-bound plane on Friday, March 18 to search for her son who had been missing since Wednesday, March 16.

"I filled out a [missing person's report] form before I got onto a plane," recalls Barron.  "About an hour later, NCIS called me and they asked me what I was doing.  He said, 'You filed a missing [person's] report and I said, 'Yeah, you told me you had one.'  [They said,] 'We do.'  And I said, 'Well, you know, Yuma PD said there is absolutely no report of a missing Marine.'"

MCAS Yuma released a statement about Cpl. Barron's disappearance on Sunday, March 20.

Barron, who was in Yuma for the investigation in March, says the reports and evidence don't add up.

"The blood splatter and the live rounds [were] found four feet from the [canal] shore and the gun was found upstream," says Barron.  "So if he shot himself and there was no live round in the gun, he would have had to have dropped the magazine, dropped the live round that was in the chamber, replaced the magazine, drop the gun upstream…after he shot himself in the back of the head (and, basically, would have instantly died) and then took a run-and-jump into the canal."

After months of constant phone calls to several agencies, one person is willing to investigate the matter on Barron's behalf:  YPD Police Chief Jerry Geier.

"The Chief of Police informed me that it might take him a few weeks, but he would look at the case," says Barron.

Although she has been told Joshua's case is closed, Barron won't rest until she gets the answers she's looking for.  She says her son deserves that much.

"I just want honor," says Barron.  "I have a problem with people believing that he killed himself when he didn't.  I don't know why he had to die and I don't know what he saw or who he upset, but something happened.

  • Email Alert Sign Up

    Sign up here to receive breaking news stories from and morning updates to your email inbox.

    * denotes required fields

    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.

KSWT-TV Affiliates

Go to KSWT-TV's Facebook page