Rapper Mos Def Undergoes Painful Force Feeding To Draw Attention To Guantanamo
Story by CBS News
NEW YORK (CBS) - Brooklyn-born rapper and actor Yasiin Bey – formerly known as Mos Def – has been drawing attention to a prisoners' hunger strike at Guantanamo Bay with a graphic video in which he volunteers to be force-fed as the prisoners are.
Bey said in the video that he is demonstrating the procedure for which the prisoners on the hunger strike are being force-fed.
Wearing an orange prison jumpsuit, Bey is handcuffed and shackled before being strapped into a chair with a leather belt around his head.
He is seen wincing, groaning and coughing painfully as a feeding tube is placed into his nose. As would-be prison orderlies remove the tube and prepare it for a second use, Bey cries, "Please, please, please, please, please don't! Don't!" before he screams as the orderlies hold him down and restrain him around the neck.
The video ends with Bey breaking down in tears, after he says he can't handle any more.
To the accompaniment of Bey's sobs, a graphic says the procedure is carried out twice a day and usually takes two hours to complete.
Afterward, he explains his reactions were real.
"When the tube went in, the first part of it is not that bad. But then you get this burning. I got this burning. And then it just gets to be really unbearable; it's like something is going into my brain and it starts to reach the back of my throat, and I really couldn't take it," he said.
The video, published by the London-based organization Reprieve, is intended to rally support for prisoners who are on hunger strikes, and asked supporters to take on their own hunger strikes in support of the prisoners.
More than 100 prisoners have been on a hunger strike since February to protest their detention at the prison, Reprieve claimed.
Email Alert Sign Up
Sign up here to receive breaking news stories from KSWT.com and morning updates to your email inbox.
MESA, AZ (CBS5) - Mesa police have identified the body found in a dumpster early Friday morning as a 14-year-old Mesa girl. Police said Claudia Ann Lucero was last seen at her Mesa home about 6:30 a.m.More >>
Mesa police have identified the body found in a dumpster early Friday morning as a 14-year-old Mesa girl.More >>
MESA, Ariz. (AP) - Mesa police have released the identity of a 14-year-old girl whose dead body was found in a trash container and say her death was a homicide. Police say the body of Claudia Ann LuceroMore >>
Police say the body of Claudia Ann Lucero was found early Friday and that she was last seen Thursday morning at her home.More >>
EL CENTRO, CALIF. (13 On Your Side) - Officials have released some of the names of the people arrested during Wednesday's massive drug trafficking bust in Imperial Valley. But as we previously reported,More >>
Officials have released some of the names of the people arrested during Wednesday's massive drug trafficking bust in Imperial Valley.More >>
WASHINGTON (AP) — Comet ISON, once optimistically called the comet of the century, is dead, the victim of a way-too-close brush with the sun. It was barely a year old. The comet, which excited astronomersMore >>
Comet ISON, once optimistically called the comet of the century, is dead, the victim of a way-too-close brush with the sun. It was barely a year old.More >>
YUMA, Ariz. (13 On Your Side) - A hungry cat that managed to get its head stuck in a can of dog food is freed by a firefighter in a heartwarming rescue. Two women saw the cat nearly get hit by a car inMore >>
A hungry cat that managed to get its head stuck in a can of dog food is freed by a firefighter in a heartwarming rescue.More >>
KINGMAN, Ariz. (AP) - A 32-year-old Kingman foster mother has been sentenced to 100 days in jail for the accidental bathtub drowning of an 8-month-old baby in her care. Superior Court Commissioner DerekMore >>
Sheriff's detectives said Stone found the infant face down in the tub when she returned to the bathroom after going to get a towelMore >>
SPARTA, Wis. (AP) - A former minister has been sentenced to life in prison for molesting a young boy in western Wisconsin. Sixty-six-year-old Michael Delaney, from Tomah (TOH'-mah), was convicted of sexuallyMore >>
The life sentence was mandatory because Delaney has prior sexual assault convictions.More >>