No charges filed against couple who called in bomb threat to del

Topic of the Day

No charges filed against couple who called in bomb threat to delay hearing

Posted:

 

YUMA, Ariz. (13 On Your Side) - The Yuma County Attorney's Office did not file charges against the Somerton couple who phoned in a bomb threat to the Yuma County Juvenile Justice Center last Friday.
The Yuma Daily Sun reports that Chief Criminal Deputy Attorney Roger Nelson of the Yuma County Attorney's Office said that his office has not declined the case.
He explained that the reports prosecutors review to determine whether to file a criminal complaint came in after the charging deadline.
Nelson also said that his office is now reviewing those reports and will now make a determination on whether or not to file charges against the couple.
Police say that on Friday morning, just before 8:00 am, 33-year-old Jose Zermeno and 29-year-old Rosalinda Chavez said a bomb had been placed at the Yuma County Juvenile Justice Center.
Police and other special law enforcement agencies immediately evacuated and searched the juvenile center for two hours.
No suspicious items were found.
Police say Zermeno and Chavez reportedly admitted they were trying to delay a scheduled hearing at the juvenile justice center to a later date.
The couple was arrested on scene and booked into the Yuma County Detention Center for hoax and use of an electronic device to threaten. 

 

  • Email Alert Sign Up

    Sign up here to receive breaking news stories from KSWT.com and morning updates to your email inbox.

    * denotes required fields


    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Go to KSWT-TV's Facebook page